Saturday, December 11, 2010

Why do We do this to Ourselves?

Years ago,as part of my job, I helped a professor post insightful comments in student workbooks.  One evening, I was reading through the workbook of a student whose entries pushed every opinionated WTF cell in my entire body.  I found it more and more challenging to come up with anything that I could say with integrity.  One of my room mates who had observed my increasing consternation said, "Magi, why don't you just write what you really think?

Inspired, I pulled off a post-it sheet and rattled off something really crude, mean, and berating.  "How about this?"  I asked as I handed him the sheet.  We both howled with laughter, then he got up from his chair and pinned it to our community bulletin board.  Again we had gales of laughter which rendered us senseless.  Then things got interesting.  As we were sitting trying to regain composure, one of our room mates came into the room, walked over to the board and read the note.  Before we could speak, this person turned and stammered, "Who left this  for me?"

Then this person left the room, and the next room mate came through,  The same thing happened, note read, intended recipient-ship assumed.  We decided to see if everyone would have the same reaction or if there would be exceptions.  There was only 1 exception, but this person was always very chilled out. 

This seems to be one of those inherited behaviors, to assume that something is your fault.  What does "assuming that something is your fault" feel like in your body during your day to day interactions?   What would it be like to feel relaxed in your spirit, mind and body?   Identifying and releasing the energetic patterns of unresolved experiences feels like having a huge weight removed from your heart.  Big, open, eager hearts naturally become filled with big open visions, dreams, actions: the heart fulfilled, a life well loved.

1 comment: