Monday, October 4, 2010

The China Project 1-19/20-2009

Tuesday, January 19th.  We traveled to Chengdu and then on to Dujiangyan.  I was greeted by my translator Angela, who translated my documents, but cannot be here for the first 2 days of the training.  Liu Meng, who heads the volunteers paid for a lovely dinner.  We were feasted at a Korean barbecue: bacon, squid, lamb, chicken knuckles (which were quite tasty), steak, eggplant, potatoes, lotus root, and fried rice with kimchee.  Again, this was a moment by moment exercise in letting go and allowing arrangements to unfold.  I am now happily housed in the volunteer living quarters, happily writing e-mails on a volunteer's computer, then off to bed.  The volunteers are in their late 20's and they all look about 15 years old.  My heart is full to bursting with the warm reception I have received.  Our workshop space is right here in the volunteer housing so it will be very homey and low key--which works for me.  I am a bit wiped out and am ready to settle in for the night. 

Wednesday, January 20thToday was wonderful, and I feel 'labor and delivery' tired.  As stated before, I am staying with the volunteers in their workspace, which is also where they live.  It is like a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment, with a large living area, one bathroom, and a small kitchen.  We had a yummy breakfast of spicy fried rice with egg and some rice porridge with spicy pickled veges.  It was really tasty. 

We had 20-25 people attend the workshop.  The work flowed, with me checking in with muscle testing all the time.  We looked at how we shut down our capacity to feel, and how the workings of the lower brain, mid brain and upper brain impact what little we allow ourselves to feel.  I asked them if they would like to experience a space of peace and calm and I led everyone through the GAP technique. 

The GAP technique allows the person to reach a state of calm and quiet in just a few minutes.  This calm, quiet, peaceful experience is what each of the two other techniques achieves, although the route with the CORE and SEE techniques is through an uncomfortable pathway of the emotions which get buried during times of trauma.   The GAP technique allows the person to notice that they have thoughts, and then focus on the ‘moment of silence’ between each thought.  With a bit of practice, this moment of silence becomes easier to access and longer to experience. 

We looked at how our concerns have an impact on us when we are with other people. 
We did a group process on different things the volunteers worry about when they think about wanting to help their clients--using the SEE technique.   The SEE technique is used to clear emotions such as stress and worry—which are about things that have not happened yet.  “What if I don’t get all my work done?”  “What if my boss thinks my work is not good enough?” and things like that.  Worries and stress can feel like the ‘weight of the world’ and often feel like they are coming in from outside of the body as well as inside.  Then we did a group process of working through anger--using the CORE technique.  The CORE technique focuses on where the emotion feels the most intense—such as it feels ‘hard or heavy’ in the stomach area.  The guidance with the CORE technique is to find the area where it feels the ‘hardest or heaviest’—or whatever the experience feels like—cold, sharp, hot, prickly etc. 

I thought that it would be best for the group to use muscle testing to fill out their own evaluation sheets--that was the part of the day that caused the most laughter for the group.  Muscle testing checks for what the body ‘resonates with’ and has been invaluable in working with American clients.  For instance, a person will have a strong response to the recognition of their own name, and a weak response to being called a different name.  Their body recognizes their real name and does not recognize the name that isn’t their name.  The volunteers were coming up with all kinds of goofy statements to check on each other.  They were also surprised by some of the numbers that they got on their sheets.  I then did a demonstration on someone who scored high on nightmares.  That was really interesting since her intellect swore that this was not an issue.  When I had her check her body to see if there was any energy she immediately found some in the small of her back.  By the end of the session her score was down from 6 on a scale of 10 to 1 on a scale of 10.  Then they paired up and did CORE work with each other.  That completed the day except for one on one work that I did with my wonderful translator. 

My profound appreciation goes out to Tom Stone at Great Life Technologies for developing this work--leading is fulfilling beyond belief, and I am so very tired and so ready for bed.   I am ready for a warm washcloth for my face.  Tomorrow we will complete the evaluation sheets; then the volunteers' clients will join us for the final 2 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment